Caregivers in Las Vegas NV
One of your most important tasks as a family caregiver is making sure that your parent’s home stays clean and healthy. A clean home environment is critical to warding off infection and illness, and ensuring good mental and emotional health. One of the primary facets of this is practicing effective germ control. A good germ control approach brings cleaning beyond just making the house look and smell welcoming to actually making it a fresher, cleaner environment in which to live.
Antibacterial surface wipes are a popular product to use throughout the home to kill germs. This is especially true during cold and flu season when many people are the most focused on their germ control, but germ control is something that needs to be performed throughout the year in order to keep your parent at their healthiest. While these surface wipes are fast and convenient, they are also packed with strong smells and harsh chemicals. These can be hard on your parent’s skin and respiratory systems, and are quite expensive. Making your own wipes is a fantastic way to make your germ control approach effective, convenient, and affordable, while also protecting your parent from the artificial scents and strong chemicals.
Putting together these wipes is extremely easy and lets you use up those old T-shirts that often clutter up drawers and closets. To use them, simply wring out a wipe and wipe it across the hard surface that you want to clean and freshen. You can dampen the cloth and use it again if you need extra cleaning power. Then just toss the wipe into the laundry and repeat the project to make more. The combination of vinegar and essential oils is naturally antibacterial, and if you want an extra boost, consider adding a few drops of tea tree oil as well.
What You Will Need
- A wide mouth mason jar, quart sized, with a tight fitting lid
- A pair of scissors
- A couple of old cotton T-shirts
- 3/4 of a cup of filtered water
- 3/4 of a cup of white distilled vinegar
- 4 drops of bergamot essential oil
- 8 drops of lavender essential oil
- 15 drops of lemon essential oil
What to Do
- Combine the water and vinegar in the mason jar
- Carefully add the lemon oil in one drop at a time and swirl to combine
- Add the lavender oil in similarly, one drop at a time and swirling to combine
- Add the bergamot last, swirling to combine
- Cut the T-shirts into small 10 by 10 inch squares using the scissors
- Add the T-shirts to the mason jar, pressing down firmly to soak up as much liquid as possible
- When all the shirt squares are added, secure the lid firmly
- Tip the jar over on its head to ensure that all of the shirt squares have been soaked
- When using, make sure to wring out the excess liquid before using to wipe, with the squares being machine washable and able to be returned to the jar after being used
- Store the shirt squares in a cool, dark place, and turn over for 30 seconds before using the top square
IF YOU OR AN AGING LOVED ONE ARE CONSIDERING IN-HOME CAREGIVERS IN LAS VEGAS, NV PLEASE CONTACT THE CARING STAFF AT GOLDEN HEART SENIOR CARE. CALL TODAY 702-800-4616.