Home Care in Las Vegas NV
Social media is no longer just intended for young adults and teenagers, but is increasingly being used by elderly adults. In fact, the Pew Research Center discovered that older adults are the fastest growing demographic to use Facebook. There are a number of reasons seniors are increasingly using social media, including connecting with family members who living a long distance away.
This type of technology can be difficult to learn, but with the help of a home care provider or family member, the elder will quickly learn how to use social media. Once they get the hang of it, there are a wide range of benefits they will receive from using this technology.
Benefits of Social Media
- Reconnecting with family members. As previously mentioned, the elder may want to use Facebook, FaceTime, Skype, or other social media websites to stay connected to family members. This is also perfect for older adults who have not seen these family members in many years. They can also reconnect with old classmates, neighbors, and old friends.
- Learn new skills. By learning a new language, computer skill, or craft, your loved one will be able to keep their brain and memory healthy. Courses can be taken online or books and blog posts may also be helpful in learning this new skill.
- Ability to share thoughts and opinions. Your loved one will also be able to share articles, pictures, or opinions with their friends and family. Some older adults feel the most useful when they are able to share their wisdom and advice with others. Being able to share it on social media may help them feel useful and give them a sense of purpose once again.
- Shop online. Millions of people shop online because of its convenience. Did you know that many retail companies also offer sales and promotions that are only available online? Since these businesses most likely have a Facebook and Twitter page, these promotions ca probably be found through social media.
- Read an e-book. E-books are increasing in popularity because they are convenient and do not require older adults to carry around a big, bulky book everywhere they go. Most e-books do have a small price tag that is required to download them, beginning at $1.00.
Help your loved one get familiar with social media in order to get the most out of these benefits. If they have grandchildren, they may be the best teachers for older adults who are new to this kind of technology.
IF YOU OR AN AGING LOVED ONE ARE CONSIDERING IN-HOME CARE IN LAS VEGAS, NV, PLEASE CONTACT THE CARING STAFF AT GOLDEN HEART SENIOR CARE. CALL TODAY 702-800-4616.