Renting a vacation home rather than a hotel when you go on a trip this summer with your family can offer many benefits. As a family caregiver, you are always trying to find ways to help everyone in your family stay healthy, safe, and comfortable, and enjoy their time together. A vacation rental can provide the space, privacy, and amenities you all need, while saving you money and increasing your convenience. This can make a tremendous difference in your time together, and in the success of continuing your care efforts for your parent during this time. One issue that is particularly important is making sure your senior is safe throughout your vacation experience. Needs such as mobility issues and wandering tendencies don’t stop when you go on vacation, and can actually be more dangerous. Fortunately, there are ways you can increase safety for your senior, and help them to stay more secure and comfortable in your vacation rental throughout your trip.
Use these tips to increase safety for your aging parent while vacationing in a vacation house:
- If there is a pool, make sure that there is a lock on the door leading to it, and an alarm on that door. If there is not an alarm available, consider adding a small magnetic alarm you can easily install and remove when you leave
- Bring along a door bar that tucks under the doorknob to prevent the front door from opening without removing the bar
- If there are stairs in the vacation house and your parent is unable to use them safely, bring along a pet or baby gate to block them
- Ensure all stairs and changes in elevation have proper handrails or banisters to provide support
- Bring along a bath mat that will provide security in the bath or shower
- Consider bringing assistive aids such as a toilet chair so that your parent can remain in their bedroom at night rather than trying to navigate an unfamiliar house
- Invest in a simple wearable GPS system so you can track your parent’s movements in the event they leave the home
Keeping your aging parents safe throughout their later years is one of your most important priorities as a family caregiver. Fortunately senior care can help. The personalized services of a senior home care services of provider are designed specifically to address your aging parent’s needs. When it comes to safety, this care provider can help your loved one identify safety challenges throughout their environment as well as in their daily activities, and take steps to manage them effectively. This can include providing physical support to deal with mobility challenges and balance issues, help with keeping the home tidy, to reduce and eliminate hazards, and also provide supervision for a senior who may have wandering tendencies, or make potentially dangerous judgments and decisions. Having this type of care on vacation with your senior can help you to feel more confident your parent can stay safe and secure while also enjoying this special time with the rest of your family.
IF YOU OR AN AGING LOVED ONE ARE CONSIDERING SENIOR CARE IN LAS VEGAS, NV, PLEASE CONTACT THE CARING STAFF AT GOLDEN HEART SENIOR CARE. CALL TODAY 702-800-4616.